Step to Follow in SEO for E-Commerce Businesses
Search engine optimization (SEO) is an important part of digital marketing for e-commerce, allowing smaller companies to compete with larger ones in the race for visibility. Here are 7 steps that successful SEO follows in order to be efficient and beneficial for a company’s website.
Without any doubt, content is king on the web. It is a crucial step towards an effective SEO campaign, and it must be the base of any site. Here are some tips to help you create good content:
- Focus on creating useful information for your target audience by using keywords in the right fashion. Immerse yourself in the field, so you can use real-life cases in your articles.
- Make sure the topics are covered thoroughly, with plenty of informative content. Metrics like readability can be used to see how well you are covering the topic.
- Encourage social sharing by using interactive elements, including links and embeds that make it easy for people to share your content.
- Keep your website updated with fresh, high-quality content that viewers will want to share with their friends and family. This makes it easier for search engines to crawl your site because the bots are always looking for up-to-date information.
Integrated Social Media Accounts
Social media can be a great way of increasing visibility, coming in second to just having a good website. Social media can also be used to research your target audience and see what matters to them the most. Here are some tips for using social media successfully:
- Keep content updates consistent by being persistent with your posting schedule. The bots may only check once every few days, so you have to keep the momentum going.
- Make sure that your social media accounts are connected to Google Analytics, so you can get new leads and track their behavior on your website.
- Respond quickly to comments and mentions of your brand online. This is a great way for new leads to see how interactive and attentive you are.
- Maintain a level of professionalism and don’t overdo it with sales messages. You can promote your products without being too pushy about it; just make sure that the call-to-action links back to your site.
Optimize for Mobile Devices
Mobile devices like tablets and phones now account for a significant portion of all web traffic. If your site is not optimized for these devices, you could be missing out on a large market and alienating customers who want to shop from their phones and tablets.
- Make sure that the mobile version of your site uses the same language as the desktop one, with minimal changes to the design.
- If you use dynamic content for your site, make sure that it can be adjusted to fit different screen sizes without looking too cramped or sloppy.
Link building is a crucial aspect of SEO and one of the most difficult things to achieve. There are over 200 factors that go into Google rankings, but the most important ones are links, content, and social media. Here are some tips that can help with link building:
- Try to get links through guest blogging whenever possible, because this is a great way to build credibility for your site.
- Use your resources well, whether it’s having employees write articles or getting a freelancer to help you with the task.
- If you have a large budget for your SEO campaign, then go ahead and use PPC ads to get links from other sites. Be careful not to overdo it though, or your site could end up looking spammy to Google’s bots.
Check Your Site’s Performance
There are many different aspects of SEO, and it can give you a headache trying to keep track of them all. Fortunately for you, there is now plenty of software to help with this task and make your life much easier. These tools can let you see where your site is lacking in terms of performance, as well as show you areas that need improvement. Here are some of the most popular SEO software tools:
- Google Analytics – This platform provides you with detailed insight into your site’s traffic, including where people are coming from and how they behave once they get there.
- Google Webmasters – The Google Search Console can give you information about how Google’s bots are indexing your site.
- Moz Pro – This tool is great for link building, as it can help you find sites that may be interested in linking to your content.
As mentioned earlier, mobile devices now account for a large portion of web traffic. If your site isn’t mobile-responsive, then you could be turning off a large chunk of the market and losing the chance to increase revenue.
- Use software like Google’s Mobile-Friendly Tool to check if your site is truly optimized for mobile devices.
- Test out different designs on multiple phones and tablets to get an idea of what the user experience is like.
- Make sure to keep your mobile site up-to-date with fresh content, so that new customers have something interesting to read while they’re browsing on the go.
Understand Your Users
You can’t create a custom user profile for each visitor or customer that comes to your site. However, you can get a general idea about their demographics by looking at their location or referring page.
- Keep track of where traffic is coming from to gauge your audience’s interests and preferences. For example, if most visitors come from search engines, this will give you an idea of the keywords that are bringing in customers.
- By looking at a customer’s referrer, you can get an idea about what marketing efforts are working well and which ones aren’t. For example, if someone finds your site through Google Adwords, then you’ll know that PPC ads are effective in getting traffic.
Keep on Top of Industry News
You can’t create the next big innovation in e-commerce by sitting on your laurels. Instead, you need to be proactive and aware of what’s happening in the industry so that you can stay ahead of the curve and give customers what they want. Here are some ways to do this:
- Try and attend industry events to meet with other professionals and keep up-to-date on the latest trends.
- Join community groups, like online forums or discussion boards, so that you can network with other industry players and learn from their experiences.
- Follow blogs by industry experts to stay abreast of the newest developments in e-commerce. This can help you stay ahead of the curve and adapt to changes before your competitors do.
- Follow e-commerce marketplaces, like eBay and Amazon, as they often hire PR people to write articles about new product releases or industry news, which will keep you up-to-date on what’s happening in the e-commerce world.
- Follow sites like Search Engine Journal or Moz to get updates on recent affordable SEO services trends, which can help you improve your search engine optimization efforts.
Improve Your Content Marketing Strategy
We already know that content is king when it comes to internet marketing, but this doesn’t mean that you should just post whatever you want without putting any thought into it. The more time and effort you put into your content, the better your site will perform online. Here are some tips:
- By creating high-quality blog content that’s interesting and relevant to the audience, you’ll keep customers coming back for more and they’ll become loyal followers of your brand.
- Use tools like Google Alert to monitor your brand name so that you can track how many times it’s being mentioned online.
- A great way to get content ideas is to run a survey or poll on social media sites or ask customers directly about their top concerns. Then, use this information to create content that provides solutions to these problems.
- Keep a detailed calendar or editorial list of topics you’ll be discussing so that you can maintain continuity between blog posts and avoid publishing filler content.
Establish a Process for Optimization
Lastly, it’s important to have a reliable process in place that will help you improve on your search engine optimization efforts. Here’s what you need to do:
- Use web analytics software to track how many visitors come from each search engine and keywords, so that you can focus your efforts on the ones that work and cut down on methods that aren’t bringing in results.
- Make sure that all of your business’s keywords are relevant to the products or services that you offer.
- Roughly between 5-15% of search engine traffic should come from long-tailed keywords, since these can bring in highly targeted traffic for low competition.
- Keep track of all incoming links so that you can find the top referring sites and replicate their link building methods.
- Review your site’s performance on a monthly basis to make sure that you’re sticking to the processes outlined above. If there are issues, then fix them as soon as possible so that they don’t turn into bigger problems down the road.
SEO can seem like a daunting task to a lot of people, but if you have the right knowledge and resources, it’s something that anyone can accomplish. By following these simple steps, you’ll be sure to see a difference in your website’s search engine performance in no time.
- Try and attend industry events to meet with other professionals and keep up-to-date with the latest SEO trends.
Link building is a long process, so make sure that you prioritize incoming links from high-quality sites to get maximum impact.