Media gateway approval, in telecom context, is a device that converts media streams between different telecom networks.
To setup this equipment, you need to get approval from the Department of telecommunication called Media gateway Approval.
In this article, you’ll have a close look into its guidelines, its process, and its other factors.
What is a Media gateway?
Internet worldwide is connected through different types of telecommunication networks. Each of them differs in latency and has a diverse capacity to stream multimedia information.
Therefore, to transfer media streams along these telecom lines.
You need a device capable of converting those streams into forms that these telecom lines can handle. That device is known as a Media gateway.
Media gateway devices tend to be specifically of service Enterprise and Service Provider applications.
The conversion service that a media gateway provides assists an enterprise application in the following ways:
- Providing internet telephony services via legal PBX devices.
- Connecting legal infrastructure to new IP-based cores.
- Protecting and extending existing Time-Division Multiplexed devices
- Preserving existing ling equipment
- Preventing expensive upgrades that rely on rip and replace.
Service Provider applications make use of media gateway devices in the following ways:
- They use it to establish interconnectivity between established CDMA, satellite, GSM UMTS networks in 2G, 3G, 4G, and more likely upcoming 5G architectures.
- Media gateway enables IP media processing for IP MSA networks is a niche function that a media gateway can perform.
- The titular device assists in interconnection and joint operation of Class 4 IP, IP tandem, Class 5 subscriber, and IP Trunking.
- It helps in converting media from IP to IP in interconnected networks.
It’s fascinating and probably one of the most crucial devices that one can set up. It’s a right reserved only for authorized individuals. If you want the same, you need to obtain Media gateway approval.
What are the eligibility criteria to obtain Media Gateway Approval?
To obtain approval to set up a media gateway in telecommunication, you must be a business entity already associated with the telecom domain.
Thus, DOT only considers the following applicants to be eligible for the media gateway approval.
- ISP License Holders.
- VNO License holders.
- Any broadcasting license holders.
- OSP License holders (Now considered moot as OSP license isn’t a requirement anymore)
Documents required to obtain Media Gateway Approval
Obtaining media approval entails application filing and document submission, with the latter being one of the most crucial steps. Thus, keep a file with the following documents ready to upload:
- Cover letter specifying your reason and requirement of media gateway license.
- Certificate of incorporation of your company
- Copy of your telecom license.
- Technical specification of the media gateway device.
- Duly filled application form.
Procedure to get this approval
The procedure for Media Gateway Approval is quite streamline. It involves the following steps:
- Application filing
- Application assessment, and
- Grant of Approval
Do you want to use a device that translates media streams between different telecommunication networks? Get this approval.
What is media gateway approval, and how to obtain it? These are the questions get solve in this blog.
The inner nuances of those four steps are too technical to talk about in this blog. However, if you need any assistance in this regard, you can consult with our telecom consultants.